Cracking the resume formula requires considering various elements, and the one that is inquired about most is the correct length for a resume. Many career coaches and hiring managers will convince you that keeping your resume to one page is critical, but is this true and absolute?
How many pages should my resume be?
The one-page resume is ideal because it is concise and compelling. However, a single-page resume is a guideline only and not a rigid set rule.
The length of your resume should instead be determined by readability, content quality, and your career stage. For example, college graduates, university graduates, and professionals with less than ten years of experience should be able to create a one-page resume.
The concise resume, in this case, should be able to convey enough convincing information to compel a hiring manager to call you in for an interview. Many recruiters only have a matter of seconds to glance over the resume and determine if it warrants more consideration.
However, if you have many years of work experience or apply for academic and scientific positions, a longer resume may be essential to convey your skills, qualifications, and experience.
How to create a one-page resume
Every piece of information on your resume should be carefully considered. Ask yourself, does it add value? and will it help me get the job?
To create a single page resume:
- Don’t include every job responsibility: Add a few bullet points and quantify your statement with achievements, praise, or figures.
- Study the job description: Get a good understanding of the skills, experience, and qualifications the recruiter is seeking and make these keywords to use within the text of your resume.
- Remove filler words: Filler words may not be necessary, making your resume harder or longer to read. Filler word examples include ‘the,’ ‘that,’ ‘like,’ ‘an,’ ‘then,’ and ‘a.’
- Remove excess experience: Your first job twenty years ago or old educational achievements may not be relevant to the job or add value to your resume.
Content vs. length
If your resume warrants a second page, such as might be the case for a company executive, this is fine. However, ensure your crucial and most persuasive information is on the first page, where it will get the most attention. Your content should remain readable, so don’t be tempted to reduce the font size below 10 pt or remove all page margins to get the content on one page.
Resume length summary and rules
Before finalizing your resume, ensure it follows these seven rules:
- Only list jobs going back fifteen years
- Limit job roles, responsibilities, and achievements to 3-7 bullet points
- Limit bullet points to a maximum of two lines
- Set the page border to 0.5, 0.75, or 1 inch
- Select a font size between 10 and 12 pt
- Achievements, recognition, and skills are job description targeted
- Venture onto the second page if the content will help you get the job
View our resume templates if you find yourself stuck writing your resume or need a little inspiration and practical guidance. We have listed them below by profession:
- Accounting resume template
- Agriculture resume template
- Arts resume template
- Automotive resume template
- Banking resume template
- Charity resume template
- Construction resume template
- Customer Services resume template
- Education resume template
- Engineering resume template
- Environmental resume template
- Facilities Management resume template
- Finance resume template
- Healthcare resume template
- Hospitality and Leisure resume template
- Human Resources (HR) resume template
- Information Technology (IT) resume template
- Leadership resume template
- Legal resume template
- Manufacturing resume template
- Marketing resume template
- Media resume template
- Office Administration resume template
- Personal Care resume template
- Professional Services resume template
- Public Sector resume template
- Retail resume template
- Sales resume template
- Science resume template
- Social Care resume template
- Telecommunications resume template
- Transportation and Logistics resume template